By Ian Barrett-Sargent
There are many awesome and one-of-a-kind businesses located in the heart of historic downtown Owego that stay open late for First Friday. The Historic Owego Marketplace hosts an array of special performances and activities at various locations around the village each month. Let’s talk about some of the activities you can do for FREE on any First Friday of the year!
– Check out the local Arts Scene: The Tioga Arts Council, Gallery 41, The Walk-Up Gallery, The Black Cat Gallery, Rusty & Jewel, and Carols Coffee and Art Bar have a new exhibits from local artists every month. There are also smaller rotating art exhibits at some of the local eateries like The Owego Kitchen for you to check out as well!
– Listen to LIVE music: Last month, 6 businesses downtown were hosting a different band or musician! I enjoy hopping around from place to place until I find a vibe that works well for me and my comrades. Owego Original’s Bar and Lounge is a great place to start, and they have live music and entertainment every Friday if you can’t make the first one of the month! Note: Some business have a cover charge for live music depending on the act. You can check this in advance on the Owego Historic Marketplace’s Facebook page.
– Window Shopping: Even if you’re not ready to pull the trigger on shopping local there are always fresh items coming into our local shops every week. I always find something new that piques my interest when I participate in First Friday! If you have children it is always a good idea to check out the Laughing Place on Lake street. Your kids will enjoy checking out the cool toys, and you will get tons of ideas for birthdays and holidays!
– Enjoy the timeless views of Nature: From our new observation deck at the Experience Tioga office you can enjoy a panoramic view of the mighty Susquehanna! This is a great place to to take a break from the festivities, meet up with your friends, and even catch the sunset; We have incredible sunsets in Tioga County!
– Get some Exercise: Now that the weather is finally starting to break it is time to get some steps back into our lives. Our walkable downtown area has beautiful architecture, delightful eateries, and a charming atmosphere! You MUST also take a stroll down the Owego River Walk. Now that Spring has sprung into Tioga County there are many beautiful flowers starting to bloom! Walk Owego – It’s an easy way to get out of the house and get to work on some of your Spring fitness goals!
Check out this map for easy-to-find parking areas, or head east or west on Front Street for on-street parking next to historic homes and parks just a few minutes walk from the festivities!
First Friday | Expect To Have FUN
When you visit Owego for First Friday you can always expect to find a lot of ways to have fun, support local business, and have a very entertaining evening! I find myself hitting all 5 of these activities in between going out to dinner and doing some shopping! No matter what you decided to do just remember to bring your friends and enjoy yourselves! To learn more about the events that are taking place this week on First Friday visit the Owego Historic Marketplace website, or Facebook page for updates.